Slip and fall accidents are likely to occur anywhere at any time. Usually, it is caused by the negligence of the property owner. Hence, this issue comes under the premises liability. According to this lawsuit, the property owner is entitled to maintain his/her property in a condition that is safe for the visitors. Failure to uphold this liability can hold the owner responsible for the injuries of the victims who slipped and fell at their premises because of the unsafe conditions prevailing there. In such cases, the victims are likely to consult an accident lawyer and file a slip and fall accident lawsuit against the property owner.
Usually, the defendant is expected to pay monetary compensation to cover the medical expenses, loss of wages, property damage, etc., of the victim in a slip and fall case. If the injury lawyer is extremely talented, you may have to pay for the non-economic losses as well suffered by the victims such as emotional distress, pain, suffering, etc. Furthermore, when it comes to slip and fall cases, it can be either because of the indoor or outdoor conditions. In order to provide you in-depth knowledge regarding the same, below is a brief comparison between the conditions that lead to indoor and outdoor slip and fall cases.
Indoor Slip and Fall Accident Conditions
The following factors contribute to indoor slip and fall cases. Hence, make sure to take care of these if you don’t want to get involved in related legal issues.
- Floors – Floors must be maintained well and free of debris, liquid, or oils that can lead to slip and fall accidents. This is highly significant in the case of restaurants and other business establishments where food and drinks are served.
- Stairs – Stairs in a building must be well maintained with perfect handrails and non-slippery steps. Otherwise, post necessary warning signs. Furthermore, it is mandatory to employ handicapped-friendly stairs in business establishments.
- Escalators and elevators – These mechanical installations must be kept in proper working condition and clear of dirt and debris.
Outdoor Slip and Fall Accident Conditions
When it comes to outdoor slip and fall accidents, the following factors may play a significant role
- Weather conditions – The weather condition such as hail, snow, sleet, rain, etc., can make the outside surfaces slippery. Note that ice floors are one of the main causes of slip and fall accidents.
- Parking lots – These areas are likely to collect grease and oil from vehicles that can eventually lead to slip and fall incidents.
- Sidewalks – The owner is held liable if a slip and fall accident occurred because of poorly maintained driveways, sidewalks, or other areas that they own.
- Poor lighting condition and uneven pavements.